Saturday, November 12, 2016

Question about PASSAP Card Reader Techniques

I recently received some interesting questions about custom knit techniques, also known as card reader techniques.  I thought I'd share them with you.

1.To design custom knit techniques myself, I need examples which show how they work. Do you have any?

Answer:

Perhaps you are interested in seeing the built-in KTs decoded in more detail so that you can use them as a basis for creating your own custom card reader techniques.  I actual did take a copy of the data on the console chip that contains the KTs and started analyzing them a few years ago.  Unfortunately, that work was put aside in favor of other projects.  I may go back to that project some day if there is enough interest in it.

2. I designed a knit technique using http://knitting.bikibird.com/CardReaderTechniques/CRTForm.html, but it doesn't do what I want.  Here is what I have so far:

Technique Type: Cast On

Knitting Instructions:
n bx 1
st
cx bx 2
st
n bx 1
n bx 2

When I use the knit technique all the instructions repeat, but I only want the last instruction "n bx 2" to repeat.  How can I fix this?

Answer:

The CRT design form does not include a KT instruction for repeating a set of instructions only once. However, it is possible for card reader techniques to do this.  I don't know why I left this out the original version.  I do plan on revising the CRT design form soon (hopefully by the end of the year), but I'm currently working on a form programme editor that will be free online at http://bikibird.com. Once that's done I'll work on revising the CRT design form and document more about card reader techniques generally.

All of this is part of a project to revitalize my other website, bikibird.com, and turn it into the home of great web apps to make your hand and machine knitting easier and more creative. Please consider supporting bikibird.com financially through Patreon. Your support will help keep these apps free for everyone to use and fund future apps, patterns, and tutorials. Together we can make great things.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jennifer, I would be very interested in the knitting technique data you got from the E6000's console chip. Could you please explain,how I can get these data from my E6000?
Best regards, Susanne